Thursday, April 17, 2014

French Cooking

The past 48 hours have been huge for my stomach...I finally endulged in traditional food from Burgundy. The girls and I went out for dinner on Tuesday night at Dr.Wine to celebrate one of our last nights in Dijon together. Here I tried Snails for the first time! After a brief freak out session, I ate it and it was delicious. The garlic butter parsley sauce was to die for. Last night, we had the privlidge of cooking with a french chef. We made ouefs en meurette, poached eggs in a red wine sauce (DELICIOUS), Poulet Gaston Gerard, chicken with a comte cheese sauce, and had gingerbread for dessert. We were served a sparkling wine with cassis liquor, which is a black current liquor famous of Burgundy and also a lot of red wine. The meal was seriously one of the best I have had. When we walked in the kitchen to cook, I think it was the first moment I experienced culture shock. Sanitation laws are extremely different than the United States and they butchered full chickens in front us and continued to play with their necks and feet. The skin still had feathers too so that was interesting to pluck out...

All said and done, it was a really cool experience and I am so grateful for that opportunity.
Also in class yesterday, we did a tasting, not one I enjoyed though. It consisted of 6 types of foie gras and liver and sardines. The liver literally tasted what I imagine wet cat food to taste like. But hey, I guess you can't leave france without trying it once.

Today though, in my last class of the semester we tasting 20 varieties of cheese with special bread from the region, beer, wine, and cider. We went out with a bang!
Now its off to Champagne tomorrow for our last field trip of the year!

A huge thank you to all my professors for making this semester an experience I will never forget. I never would have had the opportunity to travel to so many places in France and try as many local food and wine products as I did. I'm so lucky to have had this experience and I wouldn't take any of it back for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment