Thursday, February 6, 2014

London

Today was the start of my 4 day trip to London! I am really fortunate to be staying with a host "mom" for the weekend! My friends and I had to catch a 7:25 train to Paris this morning and of course I was scheduled to be on a different train than them. When we showed up to the station we realized the two trains were connected and that we would all show up together. Well 7:20 rolled around and only my friends half of the train showed up. Needless to say when 7:24 rolled around and my half of the train did not show up, my anxiety was through the roof. Luckily, the first half didn't depart for another 20 minutes and I got to hop on board. My friends had no idea that I was even on the train or what took so long. But I made it to Paris. We then had to catch a subway uptown to reach another train station where we would depart for London. You could say we were a little unprepared as we showed up and had to go through border control and French customs. It was quite the experience but I finally got my French stamps in my passport! 

When we arrived in London, Corine was there to greet us. It was quite the experience driving in an English car on the opposite side of the road. The streets are narrow and they drive crazy because they constantly pull over to let other cars go by. But she has been so welcoming and it has been extremely comforting to stay in someone's home and not in my apartment or in a hostel. She made us afternoon English tea, which was probably the best tea I have ever drank. We were then made shepard's pie for dinner which in England is traditionally made with lamb. I have never really had shepard's pie but it was amazing. And it was nice to have comfort food. Tomorrow and Saturday we will spend the days exploring the city and going to the IceBar which I am really excited for. 

I think this is going to be one of the most memorable experiences of my European travels! 

No comments:

Post a Comment