Friday, January 31, 2014

The Dream

I survived my first week at BSB which was filled with the most amount of classes I will have in a week all semester. The scheduling is very strange over here and I do not have set days and times for class so every week will be different. 

Yesterday I spent 6 hours with the same professor learning about food and wine tourism and wine marketing. He is extremely knowledgable and is easily already one of my favorite professors.  While 6 hours of one class sounds like a lot, it went by pretty fast. The first segment of class which was an hour and a half long we literally talked about the best restaurants in Dijon, Borgogne, and all of France. He explained all of the deals at lunch time, the best wines for their price, and what the traditional meals were in each region of france. He also talked about the best Michelin 3 star restaurants in france which yes, I will be eating at at some point this semester. No I don't care if it costs me 250 euro. It will be worth every penny for the experience. 

The next segment makes me wish time away because we discussed the field trips we will be going on this semester. The first trip is to Beaujolais with other international wine management students where we will visit an estate and a distillery, eat a traditional French meal, and taste the crus from the 10 estates of Beaujolais. The next trip will be only for the 8 students from EcoGasrronomy and will be to Jura, a town about an hour from Dijon. Here we will have a very expensive traditional French meal prepared for us by a friend of our professor. We are fortunate enough to experience this because we are such a small group of students. We will also do sausage tastings, chocolate tastings, cheese tasting and pairing, and spirit tasting. This is all in a span of 1 day and is the day after our 5 day field trip to Germany for a Wine Festival. I think I am in heaven. The last major field trip for this class is to Southern Champagne. Here we will visit a small and a large estate, have sausages for lunch, partake in cheese tastings and champagne tastings. 

Well if that doesn't sound like exciting enough, in two weeks I will be visiting my other professors estate that has been around since the 1400's. 

One could say I am bouncing off the walls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment